There’s no shortage of ways that schools have invested in online marketing — social media, PPC, SEO are just a few popular approaches. But one that may be new to folks listening is “Retargeting.”
You may not know the term right off the bat, but I’ve bet you’ve experienced it.
Imagine you’re shopping for a new TV. You visit a retail website to research your options, you dig into a few product profiles, and then leave knowing you have more work to do figure out which one’s best for your home.
This is where it gets interesting.
Maybe your next destination is Facebook or a news site, and there you see it — an ad featuring one of the TV’s that you just checked out. It’s like the web was reading your mind, reminding you that you “Need. To. Make. That. Purchase,” but in reality, you were just retargeted!
Given that “users who are retargeted to are 70% more likely to convert,” it’s a strategy that private school marketers need to consider.
But how does this work? How can you get started? Who’s using the technique effectively?
In episode 38 of Blackbaud K-12’s Get Connected Podcast, Melissa Rekos, EVP of Digital Services at Carnegie Communications, joins me to talk retargeting.
She has helped many colleges, universities, and private schools create and deliver successful retargeting campaigns making her an ideal person to break down this popular online marketing concept.
For a full breakdown of what we covered, make sure to check out the episode questions below.
If you’re a fan of the podcast, please do us a favor and rate and review the show on iTunes. Your support is very much appreciated.
- There’s no shortage of ways that schools have invested in online marketing — social media, PPC, SEO are just a few popular approaches that schools have employed. But one that may be new to folks listening is “Retargeting.” What exactly is it? When did it start to pop up on the digital marketing scene?
- How does a retargeting campaign work? What do schools need to know?
- How have you seen it used in education? Is it most commonly employed as a recruitment tool?
- What kinds of results should a school expect from retargeting (assuming, of course, that they’re utilizing a robust campaign approach)?
- Are there particular platforms that serve retargeting ads? Which ones should schools investigate?
- Can you share some retargeting success stories? Are there any higher ed institutions that have found significant success?
- Let’s get prescriptive — for a school just now becoming aware of the potential of retargeting, what steps should they take to help ensure that they create a successful campaign?
The post Retargeting 101: What Private Schools Need to Know #PODCAST appeared first on Blackbaud K-12 Private Schools.
About the Author
As senior product marketing manager, Peter Baron is focused on illustrating how Blackbaud K-12’s software builds deeper connections among key school community stakeholders, including parents, teachers and students. Peter regularly contributes to various online communities and education conferences like NAIS, CASE/NAIS & SSATB to explain the importance of providing modern, user-friendly experiences for school constituents. Peter hosts Blackbaud K-12's Get Connected Podcast and is the founder of edSocialMedia, a community-driven site dedicated to exploring the role of social media in education. Peter also serves as a trustee for Wolfeboro, The Summer Boarding School and is an Executive Committee member of TABS’ North American Boarding School Initiative.Follow on Twitter More Content by Peter Baron