It’s not every day that you get to hear from a noted industry expert on Search Engine Optimization, but in this episode, we’re able to deliver just that to private schools.
In episode nine of Blackbaud K-12’s Get Connected Podcast, Cyrus Shepard, the Director of Audience Development at Moz, joins me to paint the SEO big picture for private schools and share practical tips for earning better results.
If you’re not familiar with Cyrus’ work, I think it’s safe to say that he’s prolific when it come to writing about search.
Over the course of our conversation, we cover some of the most pressing SEO issues (& opportunities) of the day.
Hear Cyrus report on the early findings from Google’s mobile search deadline (aka Mobilegeddon), the ever increasing importance of page speed, plus Cyrus makes some bold predictions about what’s to come.
Also, make sure to listen to the entire conversation to hear what he considers to be the crucial ingredient for SEO success.
Check out the episode notes below for a breakdown of what we covered.
Finally, I want to give a big thanks to our terrific team of Blackbaud K-12 web consultants who contributed to this episode. Their SEO knowledge and research were invaluable.
- Cyrus shares his background in SEO and how he came to work at Moz.
- Back in April, Google started factoring whether or not an organization has a mobile site into its mobile search results — earning it the title “Mobilegeddon.” Cyrus tells us more about this and why it matters.
- At Blackbaud K-12, we see about 26% private school website traffic taking place on mobile phones. Cyrus interprets this for us and dives into how it compare to other industries.
- Additionally, we also see non-branded organic search traffic slowly declining for non-mobile sites, and vice versa. Cyrus provides insights and advice into the increasingly competitive landscape that is non-branded search.
- For some time now, Google has worked to improve the mobile search experience — the “mobile friendly” tag to the “packs” of grouped results are just a couple of examples. Cyrus offers predictions on where this might evolve in the future.
- In the past year, Google seems to have taken a couple of steps to redefine the Internet to its liking. Mobilegeddon is the most notable example. Cyrus talks about what might be next.
- In our SEO training services, we often cite that “Over 70% of the traffic you earn for any given page will come from keywords you didn’t try to optimize for,” which is part of Cyrus’ “Keywords to Concepts” article. For the benefit of our listeners who haven’t undergone Blackbaud K-12 SEO training, Cyrus talks about how the process of keyword optimization can bring in non-targeted search referrals. Hear his advice on creating content that wins.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Peter Baron